Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh no! Anxiety!


I think I mentioned previously (or meant to at least) that the first trimester really is chock full of anxiety. Not only is it the time when the baby is most vulnerable to stress, environment and other harmful stuff, but it is also before you can tell that anything is really growing in there. Scary stuff. That being said, I really do wish that the anxiety would magically disappear once the second trimester starts. And to think, this blog post all started with face wash.

See here's the thing. Last night, I'm washing my abnormally gross face (hormones are delightful) and I'm scrubbing away and out of the corner of my eye I see two small words: salicylic acid...Acid hhmmmm?


So my mind goes nuts thinking that this can't be good for bambino and where do I turn? The trusty, rusty internet of course. And the internet, as we all know, is a double-edged sword. It contains every bit of information you could ever want or need but it also has a lotta crap out there that can really mess with your mind. As I soon found out.


Here's what I found: Salicylic acid can cause serious to absolutely no damage to feti depending on what website you went to. Sigh. Of course most sites agreed to stay away from it in pill form and limit use on your skin, thats still not very comforting to a paranoid almost-mom.

But this little incident brought on a very first-trimester-like anxiety attack that has yet to pass. At least it gave me a good excuse to buy some natural face wash! eh? eh? eh.


There is something about the overload of information that is so readily available that make me wonder how children were born 20 years ago. My mom called me crazy when I told her I wasn't supposed to have deli meat. She had never heard that before in her life but lo and behold the internet provides me with one more thing to stress about. Pepperoni? Can't have that. Soft Cheeses? Nope. Caffeine? Maaaybe (and I take full advantage of that 'maybe'!). So I know that I should just chill out but when the internet and other resources gives me every reason to feel anxious about everything that comes near my body, its hard! So basically, this is just a rant. An internet bashing session, if you will. Which seems pretty hypocritical since I'm on the internet RIGHT NOW. But whatever :)
Everything is going to be just fine: My new mantra as I stick my fingers in my ears and go, "lalalalal!" really loudly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment